PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Time Based Separation for Aircraft on Final
Old 3rd Mar 2015, 09:33
Geoff Fairless

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Navaid Inspections

VC9 - The problem with Navaid flight inspections was brought up when I used to work for Airservices. The operator is well aware of the issues they cause but they also have their own issues. The flying is quite intense - multiple accurate ILS approaches are required, not all of them being via the centreline. This can cause fatigue amongst the crew members particularly when their approaches are delayed by ATC due to scheduled movements requiring holding and extended flight times. Their capital city priority is Airwork and even though they are required to discuss the flight test with ATC this does not change their traffic priority. I believe their mitigation is crew member watching crew member - if a call is made by one crew member on another or themselves for sounding/looking etc fatigued then the company requires the captain to abandon the sortie and land.

It was suggested that the testing could be done at night (daylight is not a requirement but at the time I was there VMC was) but this would require negotiations between the airports and DoT as it would not comply with current noise abatement procedures at the major airports. (Curfewed or not - they all have noise abatement procedures.) I do not know what became of this proposal but it sounded eminently suitable to me considering that the test aircraft is a BE-350 Super King Air.

A specific issue in Sydney concerns a test of the "edge" of the ILS envelope that requires the aircraft to virtually fly down final of the adjacent parallel runway, so closing both approaches. I believe that the test personnel did not consider that particular test to be necessary, however it would be CASA's call.

If problems are still occurring perhaps more negotiation is required.