PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL SEP - 12 hours of flight time - need clarification
Old 2nd Mar 2015, 19:17
Neilix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SEP(L) - Revalidation

Hi,

I hold a PPL(A) on an EASA licence. My question relates to the currency of my licence. The expiry date on my SEP(L) class rating indicates it expired on the 30th June 2014. However, on the 30th June 2014 I had met all the requirements of the "revalidation by experience" ie number of hours, t/o & landings, P1 hours, etc., including an IR(A) revalidation (>1hr and flown ie not sim) in September 2013. Happy I was current, I assumed my licence was still valid. An instructor, however, suggested that my licence is not current as it lacks a sign-off from an examiner, specifically for the purpose of SEP(L) revalidation. Naturally, the IR(A) reval. was passed and endorsed, so no issues with my flying (that was spotted anyway!).

A quote from the UK CAA's website states...

"In this example, to make sure that an SEP(land) rating does not expire and continues for another 2 year period, it can be revalidated by:
  • completing 12 hours of flight time in SEP(land) aircraft including 6 hours as pilot in command, 12 take-off and 12 landings, and up to three training flights totalling of at least 1 hour with a flight instructor or class rating instructor (or passed a class or type rating proficiency check or skills test in any other class or type of aeroplane) in the 12 months before the rating expires."...

No mention of a sign-off is made.
Anyone have a view as to whether I actually have a valid licence?
Thanks.