PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I don't know where to start.
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2015, 18:24
G-CPTN
Resident insomniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know where to start.

A couple of months ago I bought a new Acer Aspire E15 Start ES1-512-C50S.

It has 8GB of DDR3 memory and a 1000 GB HD and a Celeron N2840 - so, whilst not being the fastest available, it isn't hobbled by a restricted specification.

W8 of course - something that I didn't (and don't) want - but there was no realistic alternative (I wasn't prepared to 'go professional'). My previous laptop was W7.

I browse various websites (PPRuNe of course, a couple of similar Forums and Hotmail, BBC News etc - nothing heavy).

By choice I would use Firefox exclusively, though I was tempted to Opera on my previous laptop and found it an acceptable alternative.

I have previously avoided IE (for the same reasons that I never use Facebook) but I have been 'forced' to relent - more below.

An update to Opera 'spread' across the screen and there are no taskbars or toolbars - this is my primary problem - how do I restore Opera to an acceptable format?
I am minded to un-install Opera and reinstall it.

I should point out that there is a W7-type front end that I can 'flip' with the W8 stupid tiled front end - possibly Pokki (I have deleted much of the crapware that came bundled and installed by Acer, but I haven't touched Pokki as I don't want to be stuck with the stupid tiles).

Firefox sometimes 'bogs down' (but there again, so does IE). By bog-down I mean that it seems to forget to access the router (TalkTalk - previously excellent speeds - recently very slow) and the router Wifi connection drops out. The router was new in August 2014.).

IE 11.0.9600.17631 Update version 11.0.16 (KB3021952) will load Hotmail Inbox, but refuses to allow 'clicks' - ie it won't open any messages. If I paste the 'Compose' URL it doesn't complete - message 'Nearly Finished' with circling dots. This is my second problem - how to I restore full activity?