PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Logging auto pilot time?
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2015, 22:24
westhawk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Pace

It's understandable that there are differing preferences regarding specific techniques used by pilots when flying airplanes. These differences of opinion have always existed between qualified pilots! I won't say you are wrong in promoting your particular viewpoint on the use of F/D vertical guidance modes any more than I would for your choice of headset or your preferred visual scanning technique during landing. As long as your preferred techniques work effectively for you when you fly, any discussion of technique is strictly academic. Perhaps anyone reading these opinions will benefit from considering the relative merits and risks associated with the techniques being promoted or criticized.

All I'm trying to say is no matter what auto mode is selected, there are ways they can get you in trouble if they aren't monitored properly. If the pilot(s) aren't in the control loop then they'd better be an "active" observer, ready to intervene at any time. Can FLC mode get you in trouble? How about IAS hold or mach hold? I've seen a couple of wakethehellup moments in several of the available F/D modes. So yeah I trust the automation... To exactly the degree I'm able to verify it's performance.

I guess the objection I have to the "VS kills" argument is the inherent implication that somehow, other modes can't or won't wreck you day too. To me the best policy is to understand ALL modes behavior well and to develop and maintain monitoring habit patterns that will detect any deviation from expected performance with a very high degree of reliability.

In matters of personal technique, to each their own I say. In an overly rigid SOP environment, there may be edicts which depart the SOP arena and infringe pretty deeply into the personal technique arena. I'm aware of their their reasoning. But as I'm sure you know Pace, in the smaller corporate and charter sector, the difference between the two is more recognizable and more of the hazard versus benefit policy decisions are left to the pilots. I have no problem with your individual preference. I would just like to share my observation that other auto modes can lead one into traps as well. Consistent and effective scan and correct mentality is the only known effective way to prevent mode mismalglement from ruining your day.

And just to add something specifically related to the OP:

The logging of pilot flight time is a separate issue to the actual level of experience and skills gained. PIC time is the amount of time you were in command of the flight. Command includes but is not limited to the supervision of other crewmembers and the operation of all aircraft systems. All time spent acting as the PIC is logged as PIC time. US FARs also allow the logging of PIC time while the sole manipulator of the controls. (that includes while operating the autopilot)

Productive discussion is always a welcome sight on this site.

regards,

westhawk