PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Future Pilot Programme.
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2015, 21:29
FullTanks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BA and Emirates

The cadets selected from the CTC Wings scheme all had to pass the standard BA PFF cadet selection. If you applied from this route you would need to be deemed BA standard anyway, when you had previously failed the selection. Your training record will also be subject to scrutiny - first time passes at all progress tests and high marks in the ATPL exams will almost certainly be the baseline from which any possibly successful applicants will be selected. You are assuming that BA's recent past practice of recruiting from that particular scheme will continue adding to any PFF shortfall in the future.
Regarding the comments suggesting that Emirates cadets are on some enhanced 'deal'. You are all, I'm sure, aware that they recruit direct entry captains and copilots? What do you think that does for your command prospects, assuming that you join as a cadet? The skills you may or may not obtain from being the most junior crew on a 330 or 380 bear no comparison with those gained as P2 on multiple short sectors in NW Europe. At the accrual rate of flying hours in BA you will be anticipating 'unlocking' your frozen ATPL in 3 - 4 years, thus making you eligible for a command when you achieve the seniority to apply. Given that commands at LGW are capped at pay point 14, many copilots elect to stay in the RH seat of a long haul aircraft as a lifestyle choice.
Finally, I suggest that, if you have not previously visited the Gulf, you have a short holiday there in July or August - it's not yet air conditioned outside - though I expect they may be working on that.

Last edited by FullTanks; 2nd Mar 2015 at 21:20. Reason: Typo