PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will you retract slats/flaps in windshear?
Old 1st Mar 2015, 10:41
No Fly Zone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Screw The Flaps!

I must agree with most, DeeJayPee said it short and tight. I'll expand a little:

Windshear at low levels can and will kill you. In a W/S event the ONLY thing that you really want is increased (stable) forward speed... deal with the other details later. If, during your recovery, you happen to over-speed a particular flap setting, Mx will inspect and repair as necessary. (That may be a huge job, but it is better than buying a new airframe and/or paying the death claims, including yours.) Put differently, during a low-level W/S event, your sole, ONLY ficus should be on FLYING your airplane - and keeping it flying. What is more important? Firewall the SOB, override everything within your control and pray that you get get enough thrust, soon enough to keep your bird flying. If you have some ability to exceed TOGA, use it, now. The alternative may be a tombstone suggesting that "...he preserved the flaps and slats, but killed himself and 150+ others...)

W/S at low level is never a joke. IMO only, safest course out is a LOT more forward speed and perhaps increasing speed. Whatever you need to do or can do to achieve that speed, quickly, is easily worth the cost of a part or two that you may damage, to and including the little blocks that stop the thrust levers and the forward extreme. Other than for terrain, you cannot turn and all you want is higher forward speed, eventually giving you the ability to stay level or climb. IN the first few seconds, the back-hanging flaps may help you. Once you have achieved a secure manuvering speed, probably well above minimum, consider cleaning up a little, adjusting your makeup, changing your shorts etc. Until you have recovered significant forward speed, NOTHING else matters.
Some may blast my direct approach and that's OK. I remind them that forward speed, air passing over that wing fast enough to provide some degree of lift is your only instant concern. After than is achieved and you have verified positive control, perhaps you can consider adjusting those little extras on your wing or even the thrust.
without significant forward speed you will not fly. If you are in the air, ,but not flying, the ground will approach, probably sooner than you would like.
The take home: If W/S is known or suspected, and RW length permits, stay hot, land with power on and be ready to goose it. If other conditions do not permit such a landing, let's hope you have planned a reasonable alternate: bug out and find a different slab... Opinions can and do differ. With fuel available, I cannot imagine making a second approach into known W/S conditions; I'm gone.