PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Logging auto pilot time?
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2015, 21:03
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VS CAN BE a killer ONLY when the "pilot" doesn't monitor the airspeed and adjust pitch with the selected VS rate to maintain speed appropriately.
So if "George" is delegated PIC, and not monitored, the human pilot definitely should not be logging the time!

Logged hours as a pure number are IMHO totally irrelevant, it is down to the person looking at the logbook to decide how relevant the hours are for whatever purpose it it being looked at
Yes. And I trust that hiring Chief Pilots/HR people are making this distinction. Four Asiana pilots forgot to fly a plane in the most basic way, because they probably had become so used to George doing it, that not only did they not, they did not even know how to correct things when some manual intervention was required.

Aside from testing the autopilot in the 182 amphibian last summer, as a part of acceptance test flying, I have been a hands and feet pilot only for the last 25 years. Unfortunately, I can imagine how George watcher pilots can forget to, and worse, how to, fly a plane.