PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United Airlines warning letter to Pilots about safety
Old 28th Feb 2015, 15:25
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We get a memo like that about once every two years at my carrier.

FOQA has lifted the veil on just how dangerous our profession can be.
Yep, these 'come to Jesus' letters are pretty common in the business in recent years. The usual FOQA complaints are that we do too many rejects and not enough go arounds.

As mentioned on other threads, I fly with some folks who seem to be doing everything but flying the plane while in the seat. They text while I'm taxiing and play games on the iPhone while descending though Chinese metric RVSM airspace as PF. And, if I say something about it, they pout and play 'I've got a secret' for the rest of the trip.

Illegal personal electronic devices are proliferating once more in the cockpit. Tablets play movies off of wifi hard drives with Bluetooth headphones and speakers. Unapproved GPS receivers are hacked to work with company tablets. Non-TSO headsets play tunes off the iPhone. NW 188 overflying MSP seemed to cut down on this unauthorized electronic stuff for a while but now it's back.

If we don't clean up our act and be more professional, the feds will do it for us after the next crash. The NTSB has for years wanted airlines to audit non-accident CVR recordings to ensure SOP compliance. And cockpit cameras. Strictly confidential, non-disciplinary, for safety only etc., etc., etc...