PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish Airlines - THY Recruitment (Merged)
Old 28th Feb 2015, 08:56
yanbancypilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pizzaguy..before committing to THY consider the following

1) Salary is 8700 euro plus 600 for accommodation or hotel in lieu. No other benefit if not a private medical insurance with no dental coverage and a ridiclous loss of licence ( 100K USD) .Bringing your family there is a no go. Education is extremely expensive, housing in decent area will not be below 1500 euro car extremly expensive ( 180%++ tax )
2) Yo will fly 4 ER flights separated by 48 hours rest. You will have 7 days block off days and the rest will be filled by home stby and reserves.
3) Turkish Lira has lost 30% of its value and almost 40% against the dollar. The geopolitical situation is not comforting ( a few bombs and suicide bombers) and an increasingly authoritarian regime are not really projecting a positive light. The upcoming election could be another set back for the currency.
4) In THY there is peculiar pilot classification. As a new joiner you will be given a C2 status that would mean you will fly as FO on left seat. Once you will get a C1 status you will still be assigned flight with other local C1 and guess who will be commander again Often they will scare the **** out of you....I remember the stories I was told..
5) THY is NOT and expat airlines. They are just filling seats. The contract is permanent as long as they renew you work permit ( every year) and there is already a quota system imposed by the local ( joke) DGAC of 10% expat max.THY is at the moment exempted but nobody knows until when. They are just pure opportunists.
On narrow body sleets the situation is close to slavery.90 plus hours, no commuting, no benefits, max 4 days off often after a late finish and before an early start just after midnight to some very dodgy destination. I would think twice to leave a job anywhere else to join that circus...on any fleet but if you really desperate...