PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - World Wide Helicopters
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2015, 02:29
briani

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, have only just discovered this site!. Fascinated by the 'World Wide' messages. I spent several years as 'Company Radio Engineer' based in Tripoli (2 years) and then Benghazi (1 year) - visiting the Doha Helicopter base for radio problems - staying with Dave Thrippleton - manager. The manager in Libya was Wal Rivers, the chief Engineer was Jim Dean. Pilots Ernie Howlett, Chris Van Riet, Tom Stoney, Max Popp among others flew the Beavers and a twin Bonanza N565MR. The Beaver regs. are a bit hazy, but N1397N and N6676C - ring a bell. We also had the Catalina parked on the grass(!!) opposite the Hangar and I remember the day when Jim Dean fitted the batteries and started the engines (after she had been standing for years) and taxied across the field so that the local scrap man could cut her up for scrap - very sad. Frank Parker was one of the engineers. The Beavers were moved to a disused strip close to Benghazi town and operated from a compound there. I anyone is interested, I will probably remember more details!. The local manager and Chief Pilot in Benghazi was Andy (surname escapes me!) who was an ex Navy Pilot.