PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 27th Feb 2015, 22:49
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sinbads, my first ever night stop as a GE after completing the course. My "minder" explained the pervasive smell of cooking coming from the room corridors as Air Cubana trying to save money on crew meals. I was introduced to Aunty Vera, Pizza Delight, stretchy soup and a pizza with extra anchovies. Ksimboy, I have a vague memory of doing a night out in flip flops and shorts in about 8 feet of minus 15 snow. Was I your GE ? The best night was the dance night at the Albert Ross, a local band and local ladies with a sense of humour. I well remember being an Australian sheep purchaser on a buying tour, attracting attention from a couple of "local ladies" as something that was not the "usual" Herk crew. Happy days, and always a good night stop.

From a GE point of view, I do remember arriving back at Lyneham around 1800 local one evening, after a night stop Gander, to find that I was down for an 0600 departure the next morning for a refuel Prestwick, night stop Gander. On the way over I was enjoying a coffee and chat on the flight deck, our Captain said he was looking forward to the trip as he hadn't been across the pond for three months. I had a laugh explaining that from my cross oddled brain I had left there only a few hours before. The screech and coke was the first drink the barman poured that night, before anyone ordered a drink. Happy daze.

Smudge