PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will you retract slats/flaps in windshear?
Old 27th Feb 2015, 17:47
Avenger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forgive me for copy paste of the systems manual, but...Firstly the original poster basically asked if the sim instructor was correct.. in short No
Secondly, a well posted this is an " escape manoeuvre " not an exercise in advanced airmanship..
Boeing and Airbus have developed the shortest format of the tried and tested procedures in the QRH, on the whole, the automatic guidance systems do a better job than us, excepted autopilot struggles..
Of course, in dire straits if the system is not giving us what we want ( for some unknown reason), we are pilots, just do the best we can.
Changing the configuration by raising the gear will result in more drag as the whole wheel well is exposed, equally , raising flaps changes the stall indication logic and during flap transit the signals are unreliable ( there is a Boeing memo on this regarding false stall warnings)
KIS
"If windshear is encountered during F/D takeoff or go–around, the F/D pitch command bar provides commands to maintain the target speed until vertical speed decreases to approximately +600 fpm. At this point, the F/D pitch bar commands a 15 degree nose–up pitch attitude. If vertical speed continues to decrease, the F/D continues to command a 15 degree pitch attitude until a speed of approximately stick shaker is reached. It then commands pitch attitudes which result in intermittent activation of the stick shaker. As the airplane transits the windshear condition, the F/D programming reverses. As climb rate increases above approximately +600 fpm, the F/D commands pitch attitudes which result in
acceleration back to the target speed. The A/P and F/D both operate in a similar manner during A/P or F/D go–around."