PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Follow My Dream.. Or Not?
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2015, 14:25
AndyJay123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Follow My Dream.. Or Not?

I've just turned 22, living in the UK and working in a supermarket for the rest of my life is not what I wish to do. For years now I have had a huge passion for flying, I flew for my first time last year in an A321 and could do it every day if I had the chance. I've been playing Flight Simulators on my PC for close to 7-8 years now.

My dream is to be an airline pilot. I've looked into it before but haven't followed up, now I want to get my life on track and I want to do it more than ever..

But I have a few confidence issues with myself which is the only thing setting me back right now.

I have a slight speech problem where I sometimes find it hard to get certain words out (such as Quebec) or saying long phrases without running out of breath. Once I get the words flowing however then I am usually fine. It also seems to be when I am thinking about what to say I struggle, where as if it's more of a passive sentence I'll be fine? This is the biggest thing currently putting me off, as I've heard how most pilots and ATC speak (quickly and professionally). I don't know if there are any FAA rules, airline requirements or anything regarding speech?

I'm extremely tempted to book my first flying lesson but I don't know what to do. I welcome the views of people on this website both professional and not. Maybe I should ring the flight school and have a chat with them on the phone? I don't know..

Anyway, thank you and I hope the replies I receive gives me the hope I need to get started.