PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash near M1
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2015, 08:30
SilsoeSid

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Maybe it's because those ex-mil pilots are, ironically, brought up in a more open flight safety environment. Perhaps it is this that makes them more versed at speaking up when they see something wrong, especially in forums such as this, even if it upsets or is against the opinion of others. Of course, that then has the inevitable consequence of bringing with it the wrath of the internet experts.

If one 'pig headed ex-mil pilot' posts something on here than makes another pilot think twice before doing something, is that a good thing or a bad thing?
If I am considered to be in that category ….good!

How many times during threads of varying topics do we see others post comments such as, "I've learnt a lot from this thread!"; "I hadn't bought of it that way!"?
Many times, and these are the threads where the majority non ex-mil pilots oppose the views of these ex-mil pilots who are simply stating the obvious flight safety hazards. Things that then become obvious to the non ex-mil pilots, but not unfortunately until after the 'event'.

There are many cases where, if someone, anyone, had seen something take place and had spoken up, lives would not have been lost.

Helimut even sums it up for us when he says " Would I fly one again? Tough question. Possibly. Do I need to? Not at the moment but I would do if I had to but my daily inspection would be more thorough than it ever was before."

He doesn't like ex-mil guys slating the Robbo series, (not all do mind you), yet he then tells us that given the choice of flying one again he possibly would not. His own confidence has been dented at some stage, enough to tell us that even if he was to ever get into the machine again, his inspections would be more thorough than ever they were.

One doesn't have to fly a particular aircraft to see the affect it has on people and their friends & family. Maybe it is the pilot that induces the majority of incidents, and we are told many incidents occur because it is primarily a training aircraft and incidents of this quantity are to be expected. However, a fair few are with experienced pilots at the controls away from the training environment and, therefore, those commonly sounded triangular excuses* just simply don't fit onto those square holes.

p.s Anyone that knows me is aware that I have no chips to balance in the civ/mil discussion. We all got to the same place, but by different routes.
p.p.s. Oh, and yes I have had the 'pleasure'!

*Triangular excuses - training environment/inexperience/other human factor