PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One for EGPH ATCO's
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2003, 17:46
Fancy Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
... My whole point was to say that it is not rare to see aircraft being vectored over the city, and that is a FACT nobody can deny!
.... Obviously, they are not low flying (which is technically 500 feet or below agl) otherwise, as someone said previously, they would have been prosecuted!!! I am sure they also respect the 1500 feet clearance over built up areas (if you consider that Edinburgh's highest point is at 600 feet) and therefore descending to a maximum of 2100 feet before engaging on the ILS approach. I am not questioning that.... (by the way, all aircraft should be at 3000 feet until above the Firth of Forth, so here, we are a bit far from 2100 feet....)
My only point is that you can sometimes see aircraft being vectored over the city, and even though I am not one of these people who moan about aircraft noise, etc..., it has to be recognised that you actually can see aircraft right over the city. Therefore, you have to understand why some people are not happy to see aircraft over a city, even if they are not technically low flying.... I enjoy seeing aircraft over the city, but try also to understand that some people don't....
It is funny how nobody actually answered the question I asked in the previous post:
"Are controllers to be blamed for that or is it the pilots who put pressure on the controllers to get closer vectors.... ?"
I would like to find out about this.... I suspect controllers in general (not particularly at EGPH) are pressured by pilots 'cause after all, it is not rare to see Ryanair pilots at Prestwick, for example, taking off or landing with a tailwind, cutting you on the radio....all examples of good practice (authorised by the controllers??) I have personally witnessed this several times! Any info on this would be welcome...
As far as fuel dumping is concerned, as I have already said, I can't comment.
Cheers

PS: If you vector planes DIRECT (I forgot to say direct) from Talla VOR to a point 5 miles on the ILS, you vector them right above the city... I can visualize vectors, thanks!