PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plain English please, ATSB
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2015, 03:02
FGD135

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The aircraft departed normally, and at about 800 ft the crew detected and managed the error and continued to Adelaide.
Appalling, terrible and disgraceful.

Where do I start?

"Departed normally"? Is it normal to discover an error a few seconds after takeoff? Perhaps it is, given that the aircraft "departed normally". But what does "departed", in this context, mean exactly?

The meaning of "departed" is context dependent so was thus a poor choice of words for this place in the report. Why not just use good old "takeoff"?

... managed the error ...
Especially terrible.

"Managing" is something that takes place over a period of time. It is not something that happens in an instant. The aircraft reaching 800 feet is an instant.

From some reports I have seen in recent years, it appears that writing is no longer considered an important skill at the ATSB.

Without knowing more about this incident/accident, here is how I would have worded that sentence:

Upon reaching a height of about 800 ft, the pilot noticed the error, took corrective action then decided to continue to Adelaide. The take off was otherwise normal.