PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 4
Thread: Jet2 4
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2015, 20:51
Facelookbovvered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jet2_738

I don't think anyone is criticising Jet2 excellent safety record or the dedication of their engineers. I fly/have flown many sectors with Jet2 without serious delay or complaint, it's a good company, my point about aircraft age is that other than a lower purchase cost there is absolutely no benefit in running an old fleet, other than you can park them up in winter at less cost, everything else cost more a lot more. No warranty, higher fuel burn and that includes the old NG's entering the fleet, aircraft get heavier with age, they become more drag prone due to rippling, more tech issues, more delays and yes they've had a number of turn back and the 737 Achilles heel depressurisation related issues. You can add to that non standard spec depending on what the original owner ordered.

Non of this matters to the punter unless it delays them of course.

But if you go to court on a defence of 'exceptional circumstance beyond our control' it is only a matter of time before someone asks if buying older aircraft is a factor in reliability ? with the market leaders aiming for an average fleet age of less than 7 years they must have a good reason for doing so, what is the age of Jet2 youngest and oldest airframe out of interest?

It won't stop me flying with them so long as they ate more or less on time and yes their in resort support is excellent