PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Air-Air Combat
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2003, 15:42
Heimdall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAF Air to Air Combat

Archimedes

You're absolutely correct the RAF did score a number of air-to-air victories over Egyptian Spitfires in 1948 and an RAF Lincoln was shot down by MiG-15s on 12 Mar 53.

Jackonicko

The rumours about the 60 Sqn Javelin v Indonesian C-130 have been doing the rounds for many years and, until those who decide such issues adopt a more pragmatic view of events long ago, sadly they are likely to remain unresolved and just rumours. The 20 Sqn Venom/Hunter v MiG-17 manoeuvre kill during the Suez War is interesting, but can hardly be an issue which needs covering up. Frankly it's time we had a FOI Act so that these and other issues can be cleared up once an for all, particularly the Canberra overflight of Kapustin Yar in 1953.

I think that a case of mistaken identity was the most likely cause of the 208 Sqn Spitfire FR18s v Israeli Spitfire IXs incident on 7 Jan 49, particularly as the Egyptians were equipped with similarly marked Spitfires. In addition, even though they were in effect flying as mercenaries for the IAF, the two pilots involved had flown either with or alongside the RAF in WW2 and would have been highly unlikely to have acted the way the did if they had known the correct identity of the FR18s. The incident later in the day when an unarmed RAF Tempest was shot down is harder to explain, as by then the identity of the FR18s must have been established. Then again, if the Israeli's were later prepared to openly attack a US warship such as the Liberty, perhaps we shouldn't be too surprised at what happened back in 1949. I would be interested to hear what the rumours are about 208 Sqn taking it's revenge - perhaps they shot-up the IAF airfield where the Spitfires were based and knocked a few out - I hope someone has the answer.

www.spyflight.co.uk