PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEATHROW
Thread: HEATHROW
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2015, 16:26
Fairdealfrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As always you raise some very pertinent points. My only angle on this is to try to bring some facts to the debate. I certainly don’t want to be seen as a cheerleader for LHR R3 – my basic view is that airport capacity should be provided ONLY where there is a proven demand AND where users are prepared to pay for it.
More than proven at LHR: airport operating at 100% capacity, 30+ airlines queueing up to get slots, secondary slot market, slots changing hands for US$20,000,000+......

At LGW, quite a different story.

Even so, I do believe that users of Heathrow would be prepared to pay the modestly higher airport charges that would result from the mega-scheme that is currently proposed, simply because of the attractiveness of the market and the hub model.
Yes, LHR charges are going up in the event, but the airlines will pay this and new airlines will enter at those prices. Money can still be made.

I do not believe the same can be said of Gatwick, where its main users (easyJet) are highly unlikely to stomach the required increase in airport charges.
Exactly, and certainly not up front charges!

Apparently charges will rise at both airports if they get another rwy, but those at LGW would be very much more significant.