PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEATHROW
Thread: HEATHROW
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2015, 12:25
Fairdealfrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skipness,

How about Canada? Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver? Calgary to a lesser extent
Are you comparing Canada with the UK in this respect? Canada, like the USA, the Russian Federation, Brazil, China and India, etc., are enormous and can only support a multiple hub system because the traffic is predominantly domestic.

Fairdealfrank
Going East from MAN apart from Cathay it chesses and biscuit's over Bulgaria trust me its a twice a month hop for me currently. On CX I agree you are some what East of St Petersburg when the Port comes around. As MAN has no other carriers operating to northern Far East destinations that is currently the lot, though hopefully may change. My point is that I can leave home, check in, and get on plane, and be 1/2 way to the mid East before I have even left the UK going via LHR, never mind the valid concern that my bags may not be on board. With regards the carriers in to MAN I hope to see more from further a field looking at MAN as a good alternative, and perhaps if IAG did not try to put them off so to speak we may see them.

Regards
Mr Mac
Not just CX but also SQ via MUC. Looks like you are doing the EK/EY/QR dog leg, Mr Mac.

The lop-sided open skies arrangement between the UK and the UAE is a double-edged sword.

The point is that EK’s long established dominance on eastbound longhaul at MAN (soon to be 3 A380s/day?) is probably a disincentive to other carriers thinking of doing non-stop from there to their respective hubs.

It’s difficult to take on a carrier that is so well entrenched at an airport that does not have as much available premium traffic as the likes of LHR, AMS, CDG, FRA, etc.. On a shorthaul level, it’s the same with FR at STN and many smaller UK airports.

Once the rail link from the west direct to Heathrow is in place it will be even easier for me to get the Heathrow. No more sodding coaches from Reading. I believe the rail link will also make it far easier to access Heathrow from the north. Not only that but AFAIK the rail link is due to take place regardless of any decision on a third runway.
Yes, this is correct, the link from Iver to LHR will allow long distance trains from the west access the airport and should be open by 2018/2019, irrespective of any non-decision on another rwy.