PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEATHROW
Thread: HEATHROW
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2015, 12:18
Shed-on-a-Pole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skipness -

In order to demonstrate total consistency of argument, allow me to make a firm commitment to you from a "localist" MAN perspective. It is widely anticipated that MAN will at some time this year announce plans for a wholescale redevelopment of its terminals complex, likely at considerable cost. So here is my promise to you. If MAG announces that the cost of their terminal redevelopment plans exceed the inflation-adjusted price-tag of constructing the Channel Tunnel almost three times over, I do solemnly swear that I will vigorously oppose the project on the grounds of its business case making zero financial sense. Exactly like the proposed third strip of concrete at LHR.

On the other hand, if MAG's price-tag is in proportion to the measurable benefits of the project ...

Bagso: Outstanding post there. Right on the money.

By the way, is anybody else concerned that the privately-funded portion of the extraordinary price-tag for LHR's plans is likely to be wholly underwritten by the UK taxpayer? The numbers touted exceed the GDP of several small countries. What are the odds of a corporate default once the thing has been constructed?