PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation Books.....Must Read Tomes!
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2003, 12:43
jungly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Careless' - well not so sure about that...but remember it is just a story! Like every other Huey pilot we read Chickenhawk over and over, called it "our SOPs"....and stupidly even tried to emulate some of the "techniques". It may not be careless but it does give the wrong impression.

I dont doubt that some of the techniques, events did in fact happen (which is scarier still) - and now that I too have flown in combat, it is easy to find new ways to scare yourself and new tricks that nearly get you killed before your 25th birthday.

1. Using right pedal to decrease the TR power and allow you to get of a pad carrying more troops only works a little bit! At some point you need to straighten it up, using left pedal and the 'spike' in power can cause all sorts of grief. In the tropics at a high DA you will lose a bunch of height or over torque. The day tried it I was on a hill top - thankfully.

2. Doing an auto, picking it up and spinning it around is insane. Been there, done it, only got 180deg and ran out of TR authority. As per #1 the pedal required to stop the rotation...well, it didnt! (Tried it the other way too....could only get 90degs) Your chance of rolling it over is very high.

3. Overlapping rotors in formation. Tried it, can be done...crazy, stupid stuff. Ten seconds....more than enough stupidity - dont do it.

4. Getting hit by a bullet...does not sound like "tick, tick"...it makes a god awful bang and makes you very uphappy indeed!

Now before some old and bold people here rip my head off....the above is tongue-in-cheek! I have the deepest respect for rotorheads everywhere, esp the Vietnam Viets. I fly over Da Nang almost everyday and I look at the hills and forests with awe...and wonder about Chickenhawk, those who fought, those who died. I have a great friend who flew 2 tours there...and I think about him 30yrs ago.

One thing we forget is that many of the things/techniques we know today came from that war. My word of advice though is to remember it is a story...a damn good one...please "dont not try this at home".

2500+hrs in the Huey....wouldnt trade them for the world!!

Last edited by jungly; 8th Jun 2003 at 12:57.