PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RyanAir Tips?
Thread: RyanAir Tips?
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2015, 10:10
SLFAussie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've travelled on Ryanair a few times before their 'charm offensive', so my experience is with the 'charmless' version.

Print out your boarding passes before you leave for the airport - the fees for printing them at the airport are phenomenal, and since yours is a five day trip you can print boarding passes for the outward and return trips before you travel.

Make sure that your hand luggage fits into the luggage gauges completely. The gate staff are very strict about checking the size of them, and you will be charged extra for putting it in the hold if it doesn't fit entirely in to the gauge. Bear in mind that standard hand luggage sizes on a 737 are smaller than a bigger plane like a 747.

One bag means one bag. If you wife has a large handbag it will count as a single carry on bag and if it doesn't fit into a cabin bag, one will have to be checked, at a fee.

I have never used an aerobridge with Ryanair. Ryanair planes have airstairs built in at the front door, the back door will have stairs wheeled up to it. My preference was to use the back door, because fewer people used it and you could get into a seat in the back half of the plane quicker. You might find that the airstairs aren't as robust as the rear door's stairs. I have seen people with limited mobility board using scissor lift of the type used to load catering supplies.

The food on board isn't great and it isn't cheap enough to make it worth buying. If you can get something before you fly - do so. At UK airports M&S Simply Food was a life saver.

Transport from the airport can be tricky, check that the airport that you're flying to has transport connections to where you want to be.

Give yourself plenty of time to get to the airport - There's no mercy for late arrivals, and you forfeit your fare if you miss the plane and there will probably not be another Ryanair flight that day, and possibly not for a few more days.

Apart from that, it's a flying bus. Nothing glamorous. It gets you there. And it's one of the most punctual airlines I've ever flown.