PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GPS, A bonus or a necessity?
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2015, 09:23
foxmoth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Foxmoth, I wonder how much IFR outside CAS you have done recently. Try doing it without ground based radio navaids, as some of us are regularly required to do.
A fair amount actually, but I think you are missing my point - I did not say that I was anti GPS or there are not areas where it is difficult to manage without, I merely pointed out that ATM it is often still possible to navigate without it, it may be getting harder, and indeed, as aids get withdrawn in the near future will get to the stage of being "Almost impossible", but for anyone that is capable we are far from that situation ATM.
I would be interested to know what flying you do where there are NO ground based aids available, I could see that being the case in somewhere like Canada, but even across Europe there are still plenty around ATM? - and of course when pilots started flying IFR it would mostly be done by dead reckoning with (if they were luck) a radio range at the destination - no GPS then!
Neither am I
on the sidelines accusing the people who do use it of being incompetent!
I am quite happy to use one myself when I have the luxury, I would also agree that it is the future, the people I would consider incompetent are not those that USE GPS but those that cannot manage without it!

Last edited by foxmoth; 26th Feb 2015 at 09:35.