PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Air-Air Combat
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2003, 09:12
Jackonicko

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
Matoman,

The extent of combat operations during the Indonesian confrontation is still politically sensitive. I looked hard to find evidence of the reported Javelin/C-130 incident, and of a 20 Sqn Hunter/MiG-17 manoeuvre kill, and while I have no doubt in my mind that both incidents occurred, I have found nothing but hearsay evidence to support either.

But then some years before that, I heard equally unsubstantiated rumours of RAF Canberra aircrew being detached to fly overflight missions of the USSR in B-45 Tornados borrowed from the USAF, and in U-2s, and even in specially modified RAF Canberras ('Operation Robin'). The B-45 and U-2 rumours have now been confirmed by real evidence, though at the time they seemed less plausible than the Indonesian stories.

The Israeli incident in which Tim McElhaw and others were shot down by IDFAF Spits is perhaps best described as being something other than air combat, since the RAF Spits were unarmed. There are suggestions that the Squadron subsequently took its revenge, but that this was 'hushed up' in order to avoid escalating the situation. When shot down, they had been misidentified as Egyptian AF aircraft.....

Archimedes,

Re the Lincoln: It would have had a job, since no live ammunition was carried on that sortie.

Re the Venom and the MiG: Heard that too, and the name of the pilot. Understood that it was hushed up because of where it happened......

Proone,

It's going to be six EF squadrons, so I'm glad to see you're going to restore the seventh. I'm puzzled as to how you're going to get seven GR4 Squadrons through to their OSD with only 140 aircraft, however. If you want to maintain OS and attack numbers you'd best keep the Jags and keep the F3s - even if you use the latter just for ALARM/TIALD/Vicon.