PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Visible Tattoos
Thread: Visible Tattoos
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2015, 06:42
magicmick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tattoos

Well done on passing the medical and kicking off the process of getting your licence. Regarding tattoos, I have seen some job ads in the last couple of years that have specified no visible tattoos (BA and Aer Lingus for instance) but it’s by no means an industry standard.

Probably more important than the skin art is the art of networking while training, if there are any operators (small or large) at the airfield where you train then introduce yourself to them and use some of that sparkling ex infantry wit and charm on them. Make a good enough impression and the tattoos will be less of a worry.

To be brutally honest, the recruitment situation for freshly qualified low hours ladies and gents is so dire that some tattoos on your arms will be the least of your worries. Obviously a strong CV and military experience can play in your favour, however I’m ex Fleet Air Arm (engineer not pilot) and I’m sure you realise that absolutely no-one in any industry (aviation or otherwise) owes any of us a living due to military experience.

One note of caution, please do not get into serious debt or risk your (or someone else’s) property as security against a huge loan, the training is a gamble with eye watering sums of your money as the stake and you should never bet what you cannot afford to lose and budget for the possibility of having to stump up for a type rating or further training. As with the sage advice a few posts further up, use the ELCs wherever possible, there are plenty of training schools that are ELC registered.

Whatever you choose to do in the future I sincerely wish you all the best.