PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEATHROW
Thread: HEATHROW
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2015, 17:30
Mr Mac

Received 169 Likes on 104 Posts
Bagso
Usually in my experience (5 airports worldwide) they right them down over either 25 or 50 years (accountant's like round numbers) for terminals and runways. Also I do not know if you read the Sunday Times this week but the HS3 train set fell at the first corner ie financial, and the electrification of the Trans Pennine route looks like going back 20 years.
Also, and I struggle to believe it was not an April fools come early, but there is talk of using ex tube stock which has been cascaded out of London, and fitting it with truck engines to replace the 40+ year old Leyland bus carriages up here. Just to make it even better some of the "new" trains we have got are being sent South to the Chiltern line. At the rate we are going they will be raiding the National Rail museum / preserved steam lines !. Bit of thread drift there sorry.

Skip
Maybe better looking at Italy or Spain both geographically better examples to the UK both having 2nr hubs, similar distances apart to UK. I missed the debate also, but does not appear to have been much of one anyway.

Fairdealfrank
I do not think you will see passengers flocking back to LHR even if they do get a new runway as habits have changed. Few of us going East want to spend 5 hrs + travelling and still be in the UK. On my "normal" commute East I am sitting having my cheese course over Bulgaria with a glass of Port after 5hrs, not being told by "Nigel" that we are awaiting a tug, or that we are 20th in line for take off. Even with a new run way I would not return.

Regards
Mr Mac

Last edited by Mr Mac; 24th Feb 2015 at 19:17.