PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Circuit joining
Thread: Circuit joining
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2015, 13:59
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
keeping a constant turn as, in a low wing ac, that means a wing will be blocking the direction the conflict is likely to come from. If we are going to stick with SOHJs why not follow the published method?
I never meant to imply that the turn (in terms of angle of bank) was constant - in fact with wind it cannot be to achieve that track over the ground.

Lookout is a given and if you need to clear airspace you can waggle the wings (without turning) if you need to.

By "published method" I presume you mean the one shown on the CAA Standard "Overhead" Join? This including others which I sometimes see shows the descent on the dead side in a straight line which I consider is poorer for lookout for a/c below you. In short I don't think the descent on the dead side should be in a straight line. Another benefit of being in banked flight is that it is easier for other traffic to see you.

There is more than one way of skinning a cat but I wish people would stop bleating on about the US 45 degree join. If I go and fly in USA I would expect to obey their conventions and customs. There may well be merit in doing it that way but it's not the procedure we use in the UK.

Jez, I never knew this was so difficult!