PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 4
Thread: Jet2 4
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2015, 23:04
OntimeexceptACARS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jet2 738, I'm not sure where you are going with this. Jet2 have such an operation at Edinburgh historically because of the 737QCs. I'm sure they could expand capacity with B738s, but they are engaging EZY and RYR, both well entrenched at EDI. EZY had plenty of opportunity to have the bucket and spade market at Glasgow, especially following the demise of Flyglobespan, but chose EDI to expand at, they saw better yields there no doubt. RYR saw that EZY were into main airports, and initially focused on Ireland, Poland etc, before muscling in on bucket and spade. Much later, when RYR saw the success EXS are having at GLA, they approached GLA, who long resisted the temptation to drop their keks for the Harp boys. The loser is PIK, given the finite market.

EDI benefits from a robust inbound market, especially from Europe. GLA's strength is outbound holidays, and the airlines, like the public, play to their strengths.

I understand Jet2 are delighted with business at GLA, just as EZY are happy with business at EDI. RYR are now at both, though most folks can see RYR getting into the bucket and spade market in a big way over the next few years. It makes sense.

FWIW, EZY have 33 routes out of EDI, GLA have 19.

RYR have 34 routes out of EDI, and 9 from Glasgow.

So go figure.

There may be room for EXS to expand at EDI, but its not for you (or me) to decide.

Last edited by OntimeexceptACARS; 23rd Feb 2015 at 23:09. Reason: Destinations checked