PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAA bans governor off training
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2015, 22:30
nigelh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok . So you are all brilliant at autos to the ground . Well in that case why would my insurance company give me a really good discount for not allowing them on any of my aircraft ?!! Listen , I have also done quite a few and even with top of the tree instructors / examiners the odd one has got a bit ugly . The undeniable point which I defy you to disagree with is this ....... Far far more helicopters have been written off practicing autos to the ground than have ever been bent by real engine failures !!! The chances now of an engine failure are tiny , especially in turbines . As a low time pilot you are far more likely to have problems from 1) off airport landings at private houses with difficult approaches ( not generally covered properly in the syllabus. 2) inadvertent IMC trying to stay 500ft agl ( again nowhere near adequately covered . 3) high winds and turbulence in hills ( not really covered at all ) .
But do we spend sufficient time on these things ?? No , we are fully locked into an out of date view that engine failure is the big gotcha ..... It's not . How ever much you cock up the last 5ft you are going to be very unlucky to kill yourselves. Getting it wrong in 1) 2) or 3) and you will probably become another statistic . You just couldn't make it up , it's crazy .