PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 4
Thread: Jet2 4
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2015, 18:39
Jet2_738

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edinburgh

Having had a look through the destinations that LS fly to, I can't help but think that EDI is a little hard done by in terms of your trunk bucket and spade routes. I mean I know that these are covered by GLA - which is about 50mi away, however having said that, MAN and LBA have an equal distance between them.

I guess that the 737-300QC's would probably have to have a tech stop down route, however it appears that G-GDFK is based there at the moment, a 737-300WL. These aircraft (usually G-GDFN) operate the route from BFS to TFS, LPA, and ACE. Could sister aircraft G-GDFK not operate a route from EDI, to TFS maybe as part of Jet2holidays 2 to 3 times a week?? Or maybe even move a 737-800 up there.

There's still a market in EDI, something Jet2 have seen since they opened the base there many years ago. It is as if GLA pops up as the newest base, and has already got 28 routes, as opposed to EDI's 17 (the poorest base in terms of destinations). It makes sense as one of Jet2holidays' prime destinations is TFS, and they meet this by serving it from every base - except EDI!

Not only would it serve as some competition for GLA, and possibly drive prices down for consumers between the bases, but Jet2 would go up against the likes of FR and EZY, as they have done, and very successfully so at MAN.

Should Jet2 not make strengthening their current bases their priority, as opposed to what some people are suggesting in opening a brand new base - which makes no sense for a LCC, especially when you've already got the ground staff, handlers, engineers and aircraft up in EDI?