Old 23rd Feb 2015, 12:58
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is the way was taught it starting from being lined up on the runway

1- Full power, keep straight with rudder
2 - at 60kts pull back gently to lift the plane off the ground
3 - adjust pitch attitude to hold 70kts and trim
4 - at approx. 200 ft check t's & p's
5 - at 500 - 600 ft turn left 90 degrees (allowing for wind)
6 - at 950 ft push forward to level off and watch speed increase to 90kts then reduce throttle to 2250 rpm and trim
There are many ways to fly an airplane. This is probably one way to fly one type of plane. It's limiting, and doing this way delays a pilot's awareness of being at one with the plane.

If a pilot flew my C 150 like this, they would not be permitted to fly it again, until they improved their skills. If I were to undertake this remedial training, I would start by covering up the airspeed indicator and altimeter. Then we would undertake training on how to prevent wear and tear on nose landing gear. Nose light all the time on the roll, and it flies off when it is ready. Airliners (and T tailed Pipers) are "rotated" at a speed, all other should be eased off when they are ready. In some types and operations it is critical to do this.

From there, we'd build routines of doing what needs to be done when, and not being distracted by non essentials. Sure, check Ts & Ps, but when there is a natural safe lull in the routine, not at a rather critical phase of flight like climb out at 200 feet - fly the plane then, if the engine is going to cough, you're not going to prevent it because you looked at engine instruments. You just don't have enough time right then to read, interpret, decide a course of action, and monitor engine instrument readings at that point, unless something is going wrong, and you have a hint already.

I agree that most POHs state to use the carb heat on approach, and for that reason, and that reason only, pilots should consider using it. I consider it. I use carb heat when atmospheric conditions are conducive to carb icing, and the use of carb heat may assist in preventing it. I certainly do not use carb heat all the time, as there are times that the application of carb heat will enable icing, which might not have otherwise occurred. Think about why you are using controls. Use them because you understand them.

Spend your thinking learning to be in tune with the plane, its feel, and sounds, and less with numbers and recipes for flying.