PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA mandates replacement of R22 & R44 main rotorblades
Old 23rd Feb 2015, 11:19
barryt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Helilog56 said : "Arm chair quarter backing from an RC enthusiast.....this forum just keeps getting better...."

I just have to say something here, because I find this somewhat amusing...don't be so quick to knock the RC crowd now...

Here is the "acid test" in terms of the RC crowd VS full-scale pilots...

I will bet you my bottom dollar that if you took an average RC pilot and put him in (say) a full-scale 172 in an emergency situation (where the real pilot was suddenly incapacitated)...chances are pretty good he would get back on the ground again, having never flown before - his chances would not be "nil".

The reverse however, is not true...(put a full-scale 172 pilot behind the sticks of an RC transmitter with a model 172 up in the air for the first time and tell him to put it down again safely), and he will create matchsticks in short order...guaranteed....so respect them RC pilots...

I have seen it time-and-again, where a gung-ho full-scale pilot comes to fly a "toy" (RC) plane / chopper for the first time, and has the attitude it should be a doddle, since, after all (he is a FULL SCALE pilot), and, it all ends in tears within a couple of minutes with a broken model and a severely dented ego...