PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK NPAS discussion thread: Mk 5
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2015, 10:49
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am stunned that this has happened. Even after all the rhetoric, I did not believe that HMG would go through with such a swingeing cut as this. They really do mean business don't they and NO-ONE is going to be immune from such draconian cutbacks. Perhaps there is truth to the rumour that HMG are being a little over enthusiastic with austerity?
For the benefit of "backtothebeat", your comment that NPAS really don't know what they are doing is disingenous to say the least. Perhaps that's why you are a bobby and they are senior management. I know each of the original NPAS SLT very well indeed. Believe me when I tell you their M.O when it comes to strategy, knowledge and delivery, is second to none. They have some of the very best aviators and police officers at NPAS. The problem is more complicated. Since NPAS was set up, their ranks have burgeoned. This is often the case with a new 'empire'. Solicitors, accountants, planners, marketing, procurement and of course - lately - our beloved PCC's have all come to the table and want a slice of the action. It seems they are 'necessary evils' as part of the growing process of setting up the UK's biggest onshore helicopter operation. Politics shows its hand with various constabularies not wanting to join through sheer stubborness, even though it's a Home Office mandate - the best example for this being the MET who stalled and stalled for months until the two CC's met head to head and realised what was happening behind their backs. Finally - just as clear air was forming - HMG delivered the second (and hopefully) final tranche of austerity with this massive reduction in budget and at the most inopportune moment. The head of NPAS has also been given a very short timeline within which he has to act.
The 'baby' never got out of its cot!
Hawarden (Chester) now covers: Liverpool city centre, Cheshire, Cumbria and the WHOLE of North Wales with one cab.
This isn't a service it's a token gesture which will not stand the test of time.
15 a/c to cover the whole of the UK is a joke. One day a minister in DfT will wake up and make a name for him/herself and decide it is not cost effective to continue like this and do away with aerial police support (except for several FW dotted strategically around the UK for terorism issues).
NPAS days are numbered. What a terrible shame after so much effort by so many people over so many years.
Governmental vandalism.