PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dental Treatmen in Albania
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2015, 07:28
Capetonian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radgirl : You make some valid points based on certain assumptions, but those assumptions may be wrong.

The eastern bloc countries have come a long way since the fall of the Soviet Empire. Hungary, Czech Republic, and Poland in particular. I have spent time in that area both before and after the very welcome fall of communism and observed this first hand. They are also part of the EU and whatever faults that rotten and corrupt organisation has, it does at least offer certain standards and guarantees in term of practice and consumer protection, whereas (I'm guessing here ....) Albania probably has none.

The NHS and indeed most state social security systems pay only a very small amount towards what they consider 'cosmetic' treatment (e.g. crowns and implants). This again I have first hand experience of.

In some parts of the UK NHS treatment is excellent and waiting times are short - in this respect I was very lucky a year when a fall resulted in a broken wrist - but in others it is atrocious.

A few years ago when I was in Budapest I was out running on Margaret Island I had a fall which resulted in a very messy cut and potential infection on gravel, on my knee and hand. I was taken to a doctor's surgery by some kind bystanders, and was very impressed not just by the kindness of those involved, but by the cleanliness and professionalism which was evident at the modern and well equipped surgery. I was cleaned up and bandaged and dosed up by a doctor who spoke excellent English, and the amount I was charged was minimal.