PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA mandates replacement of R22 & R44 main rotorblades
Old 23rd Feb 2015, 07:24
13snoopy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to repeat:
I have in my possession an email from Kurt Robinson warning me if I did not purchase a set of -2 main rotor blades before a particular date, Robinson was going to discontinue them and I would be forced to upgrade my Astro with hydraulics to use the newer stainless blades.
Soooo, I heeded his warning and paid close to US $45,000 for a new set of main rotor blades for my Astro that would not entail my having to add hydraulics.
Now, I am being told that my main rotor blades (which came with a 2200 hour or 12 calendar year limit) will have to be taken off in less than five years!
My real issue is the following:
Kurt Robinson HAD TO KNOW this AD was on the horizon, yet he didn't allow that tidbit to get in the way of him convincing me to buy a new set of aluminum blades that would shortly thereafter have their lifespan chopped in half.
After owning several Robinson helis over the last decade plus and being caught up in their multiple abject failures in main rotor blade manufacturing that has required me to replace perfectly good blades MORE THAN ONCE, this is my last go with Robinsons.
They simply cannot admit their engineering failure in being able to make a durable and dependable main rotor blade.
Robinson users can defend the company all they like, but what I've stated here is FACT.
EDIT: Since I made the above post earlier in this thread, we have seen two instances of the -7 main rotor blades FAILING in flight. We now have three separate countries all grounding the entire R44 fleet!!
If anyone here thinks Im now gonna replace my perfectly fine -2 blades with the same old crap only now labeled -7 blades, please tell Elvis and Santa I said hello.