PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One for EGPH ATCO's
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2003, 00:15
Fancy Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well... I have to say that this letter is not totally inaccurate....

Without pointing at Easyjet or any other carriers, it is not rare to see traffic above the city centre.... The guy writing the letter is from Pilrig, and I can confirm that sometimes, planes are overhead Pilrig, which is north east of Edinburgh, and sometimes even closer to the city centre (if we assume Princes Street is the city centre)... As far as I know, Pilrig is not that far from the city centre after all (approx. 1.5 mile)
The guy writing the letter is therefore partly RIGHT on flying above the city!!! However, I cannot comment on fuel dumping over the city....
I perfectly know that pilots do not choose their approach paths, but the fact is that sometimes, you can see planes above the city, and that is a FACT !! Are controllers to be blamed for that or is it the pilots who put pressure on the controllers to get closer vectors.... I do not know! it would be interesting to find out...
Aircraft should normally be vectored towards Portobello or Musselburgh, then above the Firth of Forth for approach into runway 24.... Well, that is not always the case, far from it !!!

So please guys...., if you have no local knowledge, you'd better not write nonsense in this forum....
Cheers

PS: Callyoushortly, if aircraft are vectored from Talla for a 5 mile final approach, they fly right above Edinburgh city centre.... just to let you know

Last edited by Fancy Navigator; 8th Jun 2003 at 07:34.