PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA mandates replacement of R22 & R44 main rotorblades
Old 22nd Feb 2015, 18:26
topradio

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Interesting statistic and one I have not heard before. We often hear stats about the number of accidents per hour etc. but how many souls lost is a sobering one.

So is there similar data for other types - I know, its still meaningless without knowing the service hours and type of operations but interesting nevertheless.

On the topic, I am a UK based low time PPL(H) and recently flew a 44 in a non-eu country effectively as a student under instruction. The pre-flight checks were done by the 'instructor' and I just got in the right hand seat.

While doing a full and free check I noticed definite ripples on the underside of the blade about 18 to 24 inches from the tip. I mentioned it to the MUCH more experienced chap in the left seat and he said that somebody had hit a small branch a few days earlier but that 'the tech guys tell me its within limits'. Now I was fairly happy to accept his explanation as he is well known and considered a bit of a legend in the rotary world and also he was in the aircraft as well and 'he must know what he's doing'

However I believe that if that aircraft belonged to the outfit I normally fly with in the UK it would have been grounded and the blades condemned. Perhaps I am just too cautious, what would you guys have done?