PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TEM and Airmanship
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2015, 15:13
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm flying downwind in the circuit having made the 'downwind' call. Instructor and student cut inside me and fly the circuit at a lower level and end up landing first.

Now that is poor airmanship 'on the hoof'. Lack of courtesy and common sense. Is that a TEM issue which would be briefed and learn't, or more an airmanship matter?

Second, after landing (at the same airfield on the same day) several aircraft were holding on the disused cross runway. One aircraft jumped the queue and decided he was going to taxi back to the apron first. Again lack of courtesy and common sense (airmanship).
The instructor at the lower level who cut inside etc is not, in my opinion, exercising TEM. One of the the threats in the circuit (and elsewhere) is other a/c. How do we manage that threat? By, amongst other things, following the rules and "conforming to the pattern of traffic" which it would appear they were not doing.

In case of taxiing in after landing - what are threats when taxiing on the ground? Amongst others that might be other aircraft and potential runway incursions. How do we manage that threat? Taxi routing and speed etc would be part of that. Excessive haste is also a potential threat.

Having used the term Airmanship for several decades I initially rankled against TEM when I first came across it but once I had really peeled back the layers and thought about it I have become a convert.

Most experience pilots already practice TEM without formally knowing it (under the guise of Airmanship). But having introduced the concept to quite a few experienced hands and the thinking behind TEM I find most also become converts. When briefing students and experienced pilots I also emphasise and illustrate that TEM can be used before and during flight effectively.