PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Circuit joining
Thread: Circuit joining
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2015, 14:56
flybymike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reminiscent of an incident I experienced at Breighton a few years ago.

Short final behind another aircraft which for no apparent reason after landing, simply decided that he would stop in the middle of the runway at the end of the landing roll, and then wonder to himself whether he would actually just park there and get out for a stroll, or whether he might possibly ask for a clue about a more convenient place to park.

While he decided, I went around and immediately afterwards heard an aircraft behind me ( with an instructor on board) announce that they too were going around behind me. Naturally I expected them to follow me around the circuit and didn't consider their presence in the circuit as an issue to me at all.

However, as I levelled off on the downwind leg, I heard the same instructor calling short final. His go around had evidently simply been to do a low level orbit over the runway threshold.

Whilst I found this mildly irritating, it did not create any problems for me so I left it at that without remark.

It simply shows how interpretation of what constitutes "a circuit" is rather variable, and can include questionable airmanship from no less than an instructor. Doubtless if challenged his response would have been " I had no intention of following you on a cross country around the circuit."

Of course, if I had simply decided to do a low level orbit at the threshold myself as well, things might have been very different.

Hey ho..