PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATSB Aviation Commissioner.
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2015, 00:20
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
Lookleft, I am the first to admit I'm often wrong about all sorts of things. I still believe P M & C could clean up CASA easily…if they have a mind to, I didn't say they were going to do so.

I also believe the Karen Casey matter, like almost all legal disputes, are better settled through negotiation out of court. This could, I believe, still happen.

You are free to think that AVM. Skidmore made CASA walk away from regulating Angel Flight, personally, as an old cynic with some experience in dealing with sacred cows, my instinct is that CASA knew it would have a very public fight on its hands if it tried.

As for the Pel Air report, I accuse you of wishful thinking. The report is not "just a bit wrong" and the result of a lack of due diligence by some lowly ATSB operator who was having an off day as you wish to suggest.

The Senate Committee process and the Truss review reveals that the Pel Air report is a very carefully concocted litany of lies, omissions and half truths. Further revelations of anomalous political donations beg the questions of transparency, bias and political interference.

To put that another way for you Lookleft, the integrity of the ATSB is now called into question.

To put that yet another way Lookleft, when I heard the reports of Dolans dissembling in Senate Estimates about his safety model and its classification schemes proving that Pel Air was a "minor incident" you know what I heard?

The answer is I heard me. As a management consultant in corporate strategy when I was a newly minted University of Melbourne MBA, I and my colleagues dreamed up and used all sorts of similar classification schemes to prove to our clients that we had superior methodology for solving their problems. Not to put too fine a point on it, we were talking BS and thats how I know so was Dolan.

As for Mr Manning, Two of my senior management appointments involved cleaning up corporate messes, but I always went in with my eyes wide open and with a Board behind me that was prepared (mostly) to allow me to clean out the stables.

For AVM. Skidmore or Mr Manning to enter CASA and ATSB respectively without similar guarantees of a free hand, freedom of action and a mandate for reform would in my opinion be foolhardy, unless of course they were invited in with the expectation they would provide window dressing while the dirty business went on as usual.