PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA mandates replacement of R22 & R44 main rotorblades
Old 22nd Feb 2015, 00:02
Robbieengineer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R44 Blades

I have just read the above threads and I cannot believe that there is so much conjecture regarding -7 blades when they haven't even been examined by Robinson to determine if it was a manufacturing defect or a stress fracture from overloading the airframe

No one has even asked the simple question of what type of work the R44 that landed safely with the cracked blade was used for, from which I understand that it was used for spraying.

Every a/c fixed wing or rotary wing has design limitations and it usually real life activities that push those limits where ultimately failures and sadly deaths occur but there is never any finger pointing to an operator exceeding those limitations just a wall of outrage at the manufacturer who should replace at no cost and is always making money out of the owners

This is a knee jerk reaction to as yet to be confirmed perceived blade design problem until there is an ultimate conclusive solution the R44 is as safe as any other single engined helicopter