PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Take-off performance charts.
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2015, 11:05
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You'll need to check the pilot operating handbook
Well worth repeating that. I have seen several variations on performance charts in POH. First time I encounter a new type, I read through the POH.

The Performance section typically contains a detailed example on how to apply the performance charts. But they might use certain terms (like Pressure Altitude or Density Altitude) that may be defined elsewhere in the document. If not, then the E6B will allow you to work out PA from DA and vice versa.

The performance chart will also specify the pilot technique and aircraft configuration, if that's relevant. For instance, the PA28 POH has two charts. One is for a regular take-off with zero flaps, the other is for a short-field take-off, with two stages of flap.

And, as said, the performance charts may or may not take into account a safety factor. Similarly, they may or may not take into account things like wet runways, grass fields, and upslope/downslope. This should be mentioned in the POH. If the charts don't take this into account, I apply the standard CAA safety factors for those.

The CAA exams, by the way, should provide you with similar information. They don't give you a chart in isolation but they will give you some additional information. Like whether things are based on DA or PA, and whether the safety factors are included or not. That information may be on the chart, or in the question, but the question can be answered with the information given in or with the question. (You do need to be able to work with PA and DA though.)