PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2015, 10:40
Sameer Aryan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some Guidance Please

Dear All,

First of all I would like to greet and thank everyone here who is reading this thread. I am here to seek some advice from you people because I am standing at edge of one biggest life changing question in my life ever. Your advice and guidance will not only help me to take this vital decision but also will change my whole life.

About myself, I am 32 yrs old. I have done Masters in business from Kingston University. I am currently working full time with gud salary. But deep down I am not very happy with job I am doing. I always wanted to learn flying and be a commercial pilot. But due to family responsibilities i was not able to do it. But now I have reached a point were I have the freedom to think about my own dreams. First of all the question is Am I too old now to think of doing this complete career change??

I have done some research about ATPL studies and am aware of the cost and training involved. But to reduce the cost I am thinking of going to India and do the studies as its my home country and will be lot easier and cheaper for me. There are few good colleges in India and cost would be some where near 30000 pounds for 18 months training. I am thinking of starting my PPL here in UK.

My real worries are:

1) Am I too old for this now?

2) What if cant finished the whole studies?

3) In one of seminar I attended by BA and CTC, the guest speaker said " Not everyone can be a pilot. Its not the career for everyone". What does he really mean by this?

4)If I have ATPL from non European country will I still be able to get any job here in UK?

Please advice me on this issues. Do you think going to India for studies would be a right move? Keep in mind I will have to leave my current job.

Your help and advice would be much appreciated and I will be really thankful for your time and advice.

Many thanks