PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Circuit joining
Thread: Circuit joining
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2015, 17:44
skyking1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The other problem with the outsized pattern pertains to my usual ride, a light twin.
104 knots is a good safe speed for all legs and turns, until short final. A big pattern of 100 KT downwind planes like 172's does not seem a problem, till we get to that long final leg.
Now the planes slow to 65 KTs or less, and I cannot negotiate a safe landing at all. With the big pattern, they get two planes on the final many times, dragging it in at a perfectly appropriate speed. It is just the time involved that is unworkable.
So we look at it with the tighter pattern. I blend in on a 200 yard wider downwind, in a good spot. I fly a slightly larger downwind leg, keeping well ahead of the plane behind by virtue of more speed. I am well in sight of following traffic. Now my downwind was longer, base leg a little longer, and when I get on final the leading plane is just touching down. I can now slow to 90 KT, and it works fine. Nobody has to do anything to their work to get me in.
When the thing gets big and slow, I have to beg a slot from one of my fellow aviators to arrive. Not usually a problem, but not necessary IMO.