PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus 320 Type Rating
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2015, 14:14
Aeromar27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It looks like you're a little out of the loop. People who have been flying for big airlines for a long time, normally have no idea about how things are going today for unemployed pilots. That notion that paying for a TR will increase your chances of employment in Europe, only shows that long established pilots have regressed to a naive perception of the industry. Today, in most cases, hours on type are key. Money will buy hours though.

Here's the thing. Today, a TR is simply not enough in most cases. Airlines which value a TR, also require you to have a certain amount of time on the type you're rated for. That's where PayToFly programs come in play. A trained pilot like you can pay some 50000€ and in exchange, you will get a type rating plus a couple hundred hours on type flying actual company routes. After you fly those 500h, they'd kick you out of the company in most cases, and and a new pay2flyer will hop on.

You should know that you're competing against people who are willing to, not only pay for a type rating, but to pay large sums of money to an airline, to be allowed to build time. To most of us, it's very unethical.

I'm not an expert, and I'm still not in that stage, but I would invest my money in a different route. Maybe an instructor rating? USA? Who knows anymore...