PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying on edge of Stanstead Zone.. Flight Plan/Nav
Old 19th Feb 2015, 13:43
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry , thought you meant AIP and had had a keyboard moment. Why would you want to take the ANO flying with you, just curious...? I know it’s a riveting read but...

As far as navigation goes, the vast majority of CAT and a lot of GA use GPS/database terminal and en-route as ground-based aids are rapidly being deprecated. Personally I use GPS and (when visual) basic nav. so there’s a chance of a gross error in either being spotted before it becomes critical.

As far as the CAA goes, if you had been too reliant on either form, they might question why but a 28-day updated GPS moving map is much more likely to alleviate the need for a little chat with the authority in the first place.

As far as printed map accuracy and navigating by the same, if you add the possible errors from printing to the sort of accuracy you get with visual nav, I think it would be in the order of miles rather than yards. Thus making it sensible to hang back from the perceived boundary a bit?