PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Circuit joining
Thread: Circuit joining
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2015, 19:22
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flight in the vicinity of an aerodrome
12.—(1) Subject to paragraph (2), a flying machine, glider or airship flying in the vicinity of what the commander of the aircraft knows, or ought reasonably to know, to be an aerodrome shall—
(a) conform to the pattern of traffic formed by other aircraft intending to land at that aerodrome or keep clear of the airspace in which the pattern is formed; and
(b) make all turns to the left unless ground signals otherwise indicate.
(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply if the air traffic control unit at that aerodrome otherwise authorises.
Order of landing
13.—(1) An aircraft landing or on its final approach to land shall have the right-of-way over
other aircraft in flight or on the ground or water.
(2) An aircraft shall not overtake or cut in front of another aircraft on its final approach to land.
(3) If an air traffic control unit has communicated to any aircraft an order of priority for landing, the aircraft shall approach to land in that order.
(4) If the commander of an aircraft is aware that another aircraft is making an emergency landing, he shall give way to that aircraft.
(5) If the commander gives way in the circumstances referred to in paragraph (4) at night then, notwithstanding that he may have previously received permission to land, he shall not attempt to land until he has received further permission to do so.
(6) Subject to paragraphs (2), (3) and (4), if two or more flying machines, gliders or airships are approaching any place for the purpose of landing, the aircraft at the lower altitude shall have the right-of-way.
So I was flying the other day and was established on base leg and another pilot stated he was joining long final. Instantly I'm looking everywhere to see him and eventually see him on a course that would almost certainly bring us into conflict. As I'm deciding on the correct course of action, he sees me and breaks off his approach. In that situation what would you have done? My thoughts are that I was established in the circuit and he was joining the circuit so he should have given way (which he did do)...
In my opinion the a/c conducting the straight in was not "conforming to the pattern of traffic formed by other a/c" and therefore technically in breach of the Rule.

Talking purely UK here - when in Rome do as the Romans