PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TransAsia in the water?
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2015, 18:54
Mach E Avelli

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts
I don't think that the acceleration altitude of 400 feet was chosen as a result of the poor performance of early turbo props, but rather was just an arbitrary number.
Because windmilling drag increases with acceleration, there is a very strong case for NOT commencing acceleration until AFTER the memory items of any fire/manual feather drill have been completed. Even on the much simpler jets, all too often crews in simulator checks make a right pig's ear of the drill by attempting to do memory items simultaneous with acceleration. The result is inevitably that flap speeds are exceeded and the optimum final climb speed is not established.
Wrong as it may be from a certification point of view, I tell them to do one or the other in sequence - either finish the memory items then accelerate even if it means the aircraft is well above minimum acceleration altitude, or if it is less urgent, complete the acceleration then complete the memory items in the final climb segment.
Where it gets interesting is if the failure/fire is introduced just as acceleration is commenced. It is very hard for crews to resist trying to do it all at once, rather than sticking with whatever has been initiated.
Although we train for the classic failure at v1, more emphasis is needed on dealing with failures at random times.
I refrain from comment on this particular accident or the airline's training regime until the report is finalised.