PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seat of Pants Performance?
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2015, 16:24
Jet Jockey A4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@ CL300...

Thank you!

He is over complicating the whole process. In fact he is the opposite of the ones that don't even bother with trying to figure out some sort of safe departure.

Unfortunately you have to go with what's available and that I'm afraid it is not much when it comes to safety factors in cases like this.

The way he goes on to "rant" about his flight to XXXX airport is pathetic. I think he should go to the beach and get hammered.

Oh yes, perhaps I should also in my calculations, take into consideration a possible tail wind on departure, perhaps an inversion while at it too... Where do you stop?

The truth is you might as well stay home and not fly at this point. No company I know off can simulate all kinds of scenarios for your departure.

Company SOPs help too. What is the minimum RWY length for a Global Express as stipulated in your company SOP? Maybe your company does not use SOPs which sadly I have seen too often in the corporate world. BTW, our minimum RWY allowed is 4500' dry only.

It's really simple... You don't feel comfortable going into a 4200 foot RWY, don't go! Leaving that 4200 foot RWY you have climb issues, take less fuel and stop enroute unless of course your boss/client/owner is a jackass that won't listen to your safety concerns/issues.

As the Captain at one point you're going to have to put your foot down and say "That's the way we are planning this trip for operational/safety issues", period.

As a pilot you can only use the tools available to you. In some circumstances you fall in a very gray area and that's when "experience" comes in.

@ tommoutrie...

Finally if you are so intent in getting all your performance issues with a bunch of "What ifs", may I suggest you call Bombardier explain your issues and perhaps their flight science department can come up with the proper numbers for your flight.

Last edited by Jet Jockey A4; 18th Feb 2015 at 20:59.